Thursday, October 21, 2010

Too Ambitious?

My Goals

I am starting a rather ambitious adventure this week. There are going to be some fall backs but I think I can do it. I am going to do a major overhaul on my family’s health and lifestyle. That begins in the kitchen. And by actually eating in there, which we don’t do enough of.

Granted, it’s pretty dang hard for me to be healthy sometimes with John being gone and having 3 young ones, 2 very young ones. If I attempt to cook or eat while Ethan is sleeping, well, everyone knows babies have psychic powers and know automatically if you are even thinking about it. I can only do one thing at a time and this makes cooking very hard. But I am taking on the challenge of mainly cooking from scratch as well as generally sticking to a more organized life and schedule. Well, for the most part. While John being gone so much may be a valid excuse to some to slack big time, it’s just that- an excuse. If you want something, make it happen. And I am pretty good at going forward with something after I decide I really want it. But I am being realistic. It’s probably not going to happen so much on weekends. We run around a lot, I like to be on the go. This is one of my greatest drawbacks. I hate staying home. Don’t take that as being a stay at home mom, but I hate actually physically being home all the time. I love to socialize, have play dates, and take the kids to do fun and educational things. I get depressed staying home alone. But that means being out and about with hungry kids. Which inevitably means drive thru’s. Way too many drive thru’s. When John is home, we are even busier. Partly because I save so many activities for when he is home, things that are better done as a family such as camping or things that I just can’t handle alone with three kids or don’t want him to miss out on. If you don’t know, John is on average home every other month, and usually not even home his whole month that is supposedly off. So when he gets home I have a list of ideas in my head that I hope to do and we eat out a lot, shop a lot, play a lot. Which means little home cooked meals. And as much as I love, and I do mean love, eating out, its crazy expensive especially with two more little eaters, and a pain the butt with all three kids, not to mention very unhealthy. I actually love good home cooked meals just as much, even more so now that I have to eat out with kids. It’s just that I am not the one who usually makes the home cooked meals very good. I am a pretty lousy cook. It’s not unheard of for the kids to not even eat what I cooked! I absolutely love to eat and love to bake. I love good food and since I am not too good at cooking it, I prefer to eat out. This is not what I want for my family and I need to make a change. I want my kids to grow up and look back fondly at my cooking, not how much I used the microwave, boxed meals and restaurants.

This desire to change so dramatically was brought on by several factors. While I have always leaned more towards organics/natural living, I take the lazy way out of a lot of things. It’s no secret how bad processed foods are for you. I used to be a bit better about cooking most nights, until the 2nd and 3rd kids came along. Ironically, that’s when I needed to more than ever to save money, right? Madison’s has some behavior challenges that I feel are brought on in large part by her diet. Some of it is just her personality, some of it my lack of parenting skills. But I can see a huge difference in her when she is eating healthy and taking herbal supplements. Last year I was giving her Calm Child, an herbal supplement targeted towards children with ADHD. It made a huge difference but I gradually started forgetting it more and more. I have been saying for a long time now that I need to get her back on that. I finally made that step today and went and bought some more calming supplements for children, supposedly the same thing as Calm Child, called Focus and Attention Powder. We are going to try that along with Stress J, a natural calming and relaxing liquid herbal supplement. I also got the kids multi vitamins and DHA chewables. DHA supports brain health and normal cognitive function it also supports memory, focus, concentration, and attention and almost all children are deficient in it. I was giving Madison that last year as well. Research suggests that most children are sensitive to artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. I know for a fact it affects Madison’s behavior. Tyler, I am not sure about yet but I wouldn’t doubt it because it just can’t be good for anyone. Madison’s behavior lately has been pretty awful, with many days of her seeming out of control. And I blame myself completely. It’s no wonder, when we eat something out of a paper bag or a box most days of the week. As I type this, my frozen Stouffers chicken enchiladas are baking. And it will be my last frozen meal I buy. Maybe. For the most part. My kitchen is near empty and pay day is Friday, and I am going all out to stock it full of staples to help me start cooking from scratch. My cooking skills should improve drastically as I am giving myself no other choice, and my family will be much healthier. Tyler has an awful diet and I feel bad about that, he hates most everything and is sensitive to dairy. Cooking healthier meals for him that he will actually eat is a really big deal to me. He has some texture issues as well, so he is difficult. John has high blood pressure and I just want to lose weight the weight of 2 babies in two years and start eating better for my nursing baby and to shape his tastes better as he starts solids in the next year. Also, the boys are not vaccinated so it’s even more important to keep their immune systems in top shape, as winter approaches I want them all as healthy as possible.

And lastly, I have had the epiphany that a house wife should actually be a HOUSE wife. I don’t take care of the house and family like I should. This is my job and if I were John, I would fire me. He works hard to make money for us and I play with it way too much instead of investing my time in the home and kids. I spend too much time on the computer and not enough with them. I want to teach Madison how to cook, so I need to be a good teacher. I need to stay home more and take a lot more pride in my duties and work as hard as he does and save some money instead of spending it all and then buying all processed crap because I don’t have time to cook.

Nobody else will care about this, but it helps me to have it written, proof of what I am attempting. Somehow it makes me more determined if people know about it, I can’t back out and look like a liar or failure. So, breaking it down, these are my goals.

  1. Start immediately giving the kids their vitamins and dha chewables every day and Madison her 2 calming herbs.
  2. On Friday, start cooking from mostly from scratch Sunday through Thursday. (hope to increase this as time goes on but I am starting a little slow to give myself a break because I do have the 2 little ones that make it hard) Breakfast is easy, we always have eggs or oatmeal, occasionally waffles or pancakes. Now and then I buy frozen ones but never again. Lunch is awful. I need to start cooking from scratch at dinner more and having the leftovers for lunch. Dinner will be my biggest challenge.. With doing homework, her reading, ethan nursing, and getting Madison to bed early, evenings are so rushed already. So number 3 comes in to play.
  3. Sundays I plan to cook 2 meals and freeze them for Monday and Wednesday. So that really only leaves Sunday and Tuesday night that I am committed to cook a full meal. Thursday will be crock pot night, because Madison has 2 activities that night. Friday and Saturday are up in the air as to what happens.
  4. No more junk food. No more juice. Tyler will get flavored water from now on because he hates water and juice has nearly no nutritional value, it’s just sugar water. Bad for his health and his teeth and sugar weakens the immune system. He likes flavored water so I don’t even think he will notice. I am just going to add fresh fruit to my water pitcher that’s already in the fridge and wa-la.
  5. Make some things such as salsas which we go through a lot of, red and white sauces and freeze for quick meals in small batches. Start making my own bread. Partly because it’s healthier and partly because I hate most store bread plus I could keep some of that disgusting rosemary bread John likes on hand. Not sure if I will make my own pasta that seems like a pain.
  6. Get organized! I need to get into a routine that makes life less chaotic and stick to it even when John is home. So I am in the process of making a daily and weekly routine schedule up with when I clean what, do what, go where, ect. Part of the hope is to keep the house cleaner without having to do huge cleaning day marathons because I keep it up better and the kids knowing what to expect better. Madison is like me though and likes to go, go, go so staying home more will be hard on her. But that’s okay, I am going to give her some chores to do so she isn’t to bored haha J I am the type of person who has lists for my lists. And when I am really motivated, I stick to it. This is probably one of the things I have been most motivated for in my life. I hope it starts to become second nature and not such a goal and struggle. So, what is my first step? Get off this computer!

1 comment:

The Oxford Family said...

It's so funny that you posted this...well not funny but pretty crazy because I was just talking to Chris about this. I really REALLY need to step up my game in the wife and mom department. Don't get me wrong, I am there for my family but like you I am a slacker when it comes to cooking healthy and cleaning. I am even worse when pregnant so needless to say Sawyer has developed a LOVE for french fries and easy mac. Not ok. I feel like a piece of crap punching shit food into my family all the time :( I actually have a little list going of things I am slowly working on. I have given myself through this weekend to finish these house projects I have started and then I am tackling these issues I need help with. My husband isn't gone like yours but he works a lot so I tend to get away with slacking quite a bit. Maybe we could cheer each other along and share ideas/tips/etc???