Sunday, June 14, 2009

gDiapering

Oh, how they grow...


GUESS WHO IS SITTING UP??? Well, starting to anyway, it lasts a few seconds. Today he is doing much better at trying to support himself.

No more regular disposables for us! I had thought about cloth diapering before Tyler was born, but it was so expensive to start out so I didn't. For those who don't know though, cloth diapering is not what it used to be. There are really cool "all in one" cloth diapers you just take out the insert and throw them in the washer. One brand is called bum genius, seen here. I am going to use those for backups in case I run out of gdiaper refills before I make it to the store or my automatic online shipment arrives. Anyway, I found gdiapers and they do not require a huge initial investment and they are really cute. I can't wait to get more colors.

Here is some info about gdiapers from the site...

The best of cloth diapers and disposable in one eco-friendly diaper.

gDiapers starter kit

gDiapers, which stands for green diapers, consist of a washable, cotton outer little gPant and a plastic-free biodegradable diaper gRefill. They are made of breathable material just like sports clothing. So, babies stay dry and happy and are far less likely to get diaper rash.

Flush, compost or toss.

Can't flush? It's ok to toss our flushable diaper refills because they're plastic-free. Or garden compost the wet ones. They'll break down in 50-150 days. (regular diapers take 500 years!!)

Look how cute they are!

So I wasn't sure about the whole touching the refill and flushing it idea, but I love them! It was SO nice to not have a poopy diaper in the house, and the refill is large enough, I could hold two corners of it and not touch the poop and flush it. I like that it doesn't fill up the trash can with 12 diapers by the end of the day or stink up the house and the garage won't smell as deadly if I miss trash day. The whole flushing process takes about 30 seconds- shorter amount of time than it would have to go get a plastic bag and take it to the trash. John can just toss it in the trash if he doesn't want to deal with it, same as a regular diaper. I wondered if putting the refill in each time would be time consuming- nope, takes about 10 seconds. Even Madison does it and puts the diaper on him, she thinks it's cool. Also, after he pees, he is not wet at all, it is all absorbed, it wasn't like a soaked regular diaper laying against his skin. The only downside is when he poops, it can get on the inner liner, which you just have to rinse off, but you can do that later if needed and just grab another liner or another cover with a liner attached. It really is not any more time consuming and has a ton of pro's -number one being to me is no more stinky house. The cost is about $15 more per month for us right now, which would be less soon after he would get into size 4 diapers, so while it's not saving money like I had hoped to do with cloth diapering, it's a small price to pay for doing my part to save the environment. That's always a plus. Also, regular diapers decrease in quantity as their size decreases but the price stays the same, I always hated that with Madison. But the gdiaper refills do not change in quantity after small, it just goes to med/large and that's all you will ever need until they are out of diapers. So all in all, I am in love with these. I know I sound like I am advertising for them, maybe I should get paid?

No comments: